Monday, March 19, 2012

CVS Shopping Trip 3/18/12

Periodically I will try to post examples of my coupon shopping trips so that you can see exactly how this couponing thing works! This week there are some really good deals on things my family uses often, so I ended up going to CVS, Rite Aid, Vons, and Trader Joe's. And it was raining. It was quite an exhausting afternoon, but getting the best deals usually means more work.

Note: SS = Smart Source Insert, RP = Red Plum Insert

CVS Shopping Trip
    Transaction #1
  • 2 Bags M&Ms Easter Candy - 2 for $6 and $1 ECB when you buy 2
    Used $1 off 2 M&Ms coupon from RP 3/18
  • 1 Colgate Optic White Toothpaste - $3.49 and $2 ECB
    Used $1 Off Optic White coupon from SS 3/11
  • Total: $10.31
    Used $5 ECB from Beauty Extra Bucks that I got on my last shopping trip
  • Paid: $5.31 and got $7 back in Extra Bucks


    Transaction #2
  • OB Tampons - 2 for $9
    Used .75 off coupon from SS 3/18
  • Carefree Pantyliners - $1
    Used $1 off Carefree product coupon from SS 3/18
  • 2 Suave Deodorants - $1 each
    Used .75 off coupon from SS 3/18 (I only had 1 coupon but I bought another deodorant anyway)
  • 1 Ziploc Gallon Freezer Bag - $4.59 (not on sale but we needed them)
    Used .50 off coupon from SS 1/15
  • Total: $14.88
    Used $5 in ECB from Transaction #1
  • Paid: $9.88


In total, I paid $15.19 vs. $47.86 at full price. That is a $32 savings, or 68%! Not too bad.



As a side note, when you watch "Extreme Couponing" and you see people getting a 100% savings or close to it, it's because they are buying only items that they can get for free with coupon match-ups. They are not picky about what type of items they buy - they just buy whatever is on sale, usually for around $1 since that's the value of most coupons. For me, there are certain items that I buy brand-specific for my family (such as deodorant and facial products), and other items that I buy based on the best deals (e.g. toothpaste and soap). I also buy things I can get for free regardless of the brand, and then I donate them!