Friday, February 3, 2012

Frugal Recipes: Mom's Secret Veggie Muffins

My 1 year-old has started to reject any and all vegetables that I offer her, even though she used to love them! I have desperately been trying every way I can think of to disguise them so she will eat them. I started looking on mommy message boards for ideas of how to get kids to eat veggies, and I found a recipe for kid-friendly veggie muffins. I tweaked the recipe a little bit to my taste (and the veggies I had on hand). I used my own homemade veggie purees, which I think were not quite liquid-y enough and made the muffins come out quite dense. They tasted pretty good, though! When I offered one to Carly, she practically INHALED it! She actually grabbed the muffin out of my hand because I wasn't breaking off pieces fast enough, and she wanted to just shove the whole thing in her mouth. Little did she know there was broccoli, tomato, spinach, and sweet potatoes in there! BIG WIN for mom!

Here is the recipe!

Mom's Secret Veggie Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat flour)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened (I used light butter)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 cups pureed vegetables (use jarred baby food or your own homemade purees thinned down to the consistency of baby food)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp maple syrup


Baking Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Spray muffin pan (or use cupcake/muffin liners)
  • Mix all ingredients and mix with an electric mixer until well-blended.
  • Fill muffin tins 2/3 full with batter
  • Bake 20-25 minutes and test for doneness with a toothpick
  • Cool in the pan
  • Feed to hungry child!!